This week we will be going over what to expect in the class over the course of the semester. We will also be talking about the data pipeline from sourcing and collecting to scrubbing and cleaning data to analysis then finally visualizing for presentation. We also will cover a brief history of data and data collection as well as look at a few inspiring visualizations.
- Buy the textbook: The Functional Art, by Alberto Cairo
- Sign up for Dropbox.
- Send an email using the email address you use for Dropbox to email@example.com
- Start collecting at least 2 different sets of personal data:
- Openpaths Mobile App – Location Tracking
- Daytum App – Diary Like Tracker
- Reporter App – Diary Like Tracker
- Moves App – Movement Tracker
- Floodwatch Browser Extension – Website Ad Tracker
- Rescue Time – Tracks Everything on Computer
- Moment App – Tracks Mobile Phone Usage
- Apple Health App – Tracks movement and health
- Fitbit, Apple Watch or other wearables – Tracks movement
- Automatic – Plugin for your car